BGST’s Faculty meets regularly to review and develop the curriculum in each of our programmes, to ensure that the range of courses meets our goal that our students “grow in Christlikeness and develop an integrated biblical worldview for effective service in the Church and the Marketplace.” Following our last round of curriculum review and development, we have decided on some improvements to each of our Grad DipCS, MCS, and MDiv programmes.
Here’s a summary of the improvements:
- The core course Christianity for Spiritual Formation (3 credits) will be replaced by two courses: Christian Spirituality I: Foundations for Everyday Life (CS101, 1.5 credits) AND Christian Spirituality II: Practices for Discernment and Discipleship (CS102, 1.5 credits). Students are strongly encouraged to complete CS101 before attempting CS102.
In addition to the above,
- A new core course is required: Christians in the Marketplace: Theology, Spirituality and Practice (MM201, 3 credits)
- Christian Ethics (TS252) is now 1.5 credits
- The requirement for the core Ancient Wisdom for Everyday Spirituality: Reading the Spiritual Classics of Christianity (CS211, 3 credits) is replaced by “Any CS elective” (3 credits)
- The MCS now comprises 46.5 required credits, 13.5 electives (previously 48 required; 12 electives).
In addition to the above,
- The requirement for the core course The Educational Ministry of the Church (3 credits) is replaced by Learning and the Art of Teaching (CE/ID313, 1.5 credits)
- The core course Christian Apologetics (TS230, 3 credits) is now reconfigured as Christian Apologetics and Evangelism.
- The core course Pastoral Theology (CM101, 3 credits) is reconfigured as Pastoral Theology and Leadership, and the course Introduction to Leadership (AT257, 3 credits) will no longer be required.
- The requirement for the core course Liturgy and Worship (CM220, 1.5 credits) is replaced by “Any Worship course” (1.5 credits)
- The requirement for the core course Preaching in the Church (AT246, 3 credit) is replaced by “Any Homilectics course” (3 credits)
- The requirement for the core course Introduction to Evangelism and World Missions is replaced by The Church’s Mission in Asia: Contemporary Challenges and Issues (ME101, 1.5 credits).
- The core course The Counsellor as Person (CO101, 3 credits) is reconfigured as Basics of Christian Counselling.
- The biblical language requirements of 12 credits can now be fulfilled with 6 credits of Greek and 6 credits of Hebrew.
- The MDiv now comprises 82.5 required credits, 7.5 electives (previously 87 required; 3 electives).
For a more detailed listing of the curriculum, please visit the relevant webpages at http://bgst.edu.sg/academic-programmes-certificates/
These changes come into effect from 1 July 2017.
Students who are already in degree programmes can choose to remain, or opt to adopt the new 2017 curriculum.
Published on June 28, 2017