Dr Jerry Mick, Chairman of Outreach to Asia Nationals, preached from the book of Nehemiah. He stressed the sobering state of affairs where the people of God committed themselves to be faithful to God by way of covenant making (Neh. 9-10), and yet in a matter of about two years, broke the covenant (Neh. 13). He warned that Christians, pastors, and church leaders, are not immune to unfaithfulness and disobedience. Drawing from his 26 years of experience in pastoral work, he highlighted three things that contribute to unfaithfulness to God, against which we are to guard ourselves:
- Pride and complacency: “It will never happen to me”;
- No daily time with God;
- Lack of personal accountability in ministry.
He concluded by stressing the need to surround ourselves with those who will put the tough questions to us and hold us accountable. The message is downloadable from BGST website under “Resources”.
- Catch our Annual Lecture on Contemporary Issue Series at our homepage http://bgst.edu.sg and select "Resources" followed by "Annual Lectures" from the top menu bar. The direct link is
If you have been blessed by these lectures and want them as gifts for your friends, send your orders to email@example.com. The two lectures are available individually in MP3 CDs at $5.00 each. Mail delivery charges is at $1.00 per CD.
- Last week we bid farewell to Mr Stanley Wong who has been serving in BGST library for the past three months. He moves on to pursue studies in counselling. We wish him God's blessings in his future endeavours.
- BGST Family Day
5 September 2009 10:00 am to 1:00 pm
(Light lunch will be provided)
BGST will be organizing a gathering for all faculty, staff, students and alumni for a time of fellowship. Please mark this date in your diaries! More details to come soon.
- NEW COURSE
LEADERSHIP ESSENTIALS, AT254, 1.5 cr
Adjunct Lecturer: Rev. Dr Tan Soo-Inn
Dates : Oct 1, 8, 15, 22
Time : 7.15 - 10.15pm
Rev. Dr Tan Soo-Inn is a director of Graceworks, a ministry committed to promoting spiritual friendship in church and society. He has a BDS from the University of Singapore, a ThM (NT) from Regent College, and a DMin from Fuller seminary. He has served as the lead pastor of two churches and as the executive leader of a major parachurch organization. He has also started and led two ministries. His passions include connecting the Word of God to the struggles of daily life, and the mentoring of emerging leaders.
In a time of rapid change, both church and marketplace are crying out for effective leadership. This course will lay out key biblical principles for good leadership. We will also be reviewing significant contemporary thinking on the subject. Our understanding is that leadership is more about function than office. The leadership principles presented in the course will be applicable to both church and marketplace contexts. The course participant will be encouraged to work out a theology of leadership and to apply it in his or her own context.
As a result of participating in this course, the student will:
- Examine the bible's understanding of leadership.
- Understand the eight key functions of the practice of leadership.
- Be aware of the difficulties and opportunities of doing leadership in today's world.
- Review and critique some key approaches to leadership practice today.
- Audit where he or she is at in their leadership journey and identify some key growth areas.
For full course description, click on this link http://bgst.edu.sg/courses/pdf/at254-09.pdf.
- BGST 2nd Fundraising Golf Tournament in aid of
BGST Building Fund
25 Sep 2009 (Friday), Raffles Country Club, Lake Course
Though this may not be the best time for fundraising, but for the School's greater need to fulfill her vision and mission, the Golf Tournament Organising Committee appeals to all golfers in the BGST community to support us in this event.
So, gather your friends and swing for a good cause! We are also looking for sponsorship in terms of advertisement placement in the golf tournament souvenir magazine and contribution of prizes or items for our goodie bags. We hope to raise $80,000 to help pay for the building loans. Pray for us and with us in meeting our goal.
Visit www.bgst.edu.sg/GT2009 or contact Serene at Tel: 62276815 for more info. We look forward to your support!