Ps Leow Wen Pin
DIRECTOR (CENTRE FOR DISABILITY MINISTRY IN ASIA) & LECTURER IN BIBLICAL AND INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES
MSt (New Testament, University of Oxford); MTh (Old Testament, University of Aberdeen); MDiv (Biblical Studies, Singapore Bible College); MPhil (Comparative Education, University of Cambridge)
Wen Pin is Lecturer in Biblical and Interdisciplinary Studies at BGST, where he also directs the Centre for Disability Ministry in Asia. His research interests include Hebrew poetry, disability theology/ministry, disability in the gospels, and homiletics. He has developed Hebrew for Busy People , a web application for helping the Church learn Biblical Hebrew. Being especially concerned about the inclusion of people with disabilities, he leads the Koinonia Inclusion Network (KIN) which promotes inclusion in churches, and he also serves in various roles in the disability sector. He frequently preaches with churches across the denominational spectrum, especially on disability inclusion issues. He worships at Singapore Life Church (Presbyterian), where he serves with the English Service leadership team.
Wen Pin is open to applications to mentor individuals who wish to be research associates with the CDMA.
- Academic Memberships:
- Member, Society of Biblical Literature
- Member, Society for Old Testament Study
- Member, International Academic Forum (IAFOR)
- Academic Service:
- Member, Advisory Group, Centre for the Study of Autism and Christian Community, University of Aberdeen
- Assistant Book Review Editor, Editorial Board, Journal of Disability and Religion
- Series Editor, Disability Ministry in Asia series
Service in Community
- President, Koinonia Inclusion Network
- Member, Management Committee, St Andrew's Autism Centre
- Member, Advisory Panel, AWWA School @ Bedok
BGST Courses Taught
- ID211/212/213: Certificate of Christian Disability Ministry (CCDM link)
- BH111/112: Biblical Hebrew
- BH211/212: Hebrew Exegesis
- BG111/112: Biblical Greek
- HE101: Biblical Hermeneutics and Interpretation
- ME350: Explorations in Disability Theology and Missional Church Life
Publications and Presentations
- Enabling Hearts: A Primer for Disability-Inclusive Churches. Disability Ministry in Asia Series Vol. 1. Singapore: Graceworks, 2021.
- Call Me by Name: Stories of Identity, Faith, and Special Needs. Singapore: Graceworks, 2018. (Co-edited with Anne Wong-Png.)
- “Ekklēsia and Civic Discourse in the Rhetoric of Ephesians.” Asia Journal of Theology 34, no. 2 (2020): 66-85.
- “Farming for Meaning: Dynamic Extended Metaphor and Conceptual Blending in Psalm 129.” Asia Journal of Theology 34, no. 1 (2020): 1-22.
- “Changing One’s Tune: Re-reading the Structure of Psalm 132 as Complex Antiphony.” Old Testament Essays 32, no. 1 (2019): 32-57.
- “Form and Experience Dwelling in Unity: A Cognitive and Contextualised Approach to the Metaphors of Psalm 133.” Tyndale Bulletin 68, no. 2 (2017): 185-202.
- “A Theological Introduction to Disability”. Pages 1-11 in Enabling Hearts: A Primer for Disability-Inclusive Churches, edited by Wen-Pin Leow. Disability Ministry in Asia 1. Singapore: Graceworks, 2021.
- “A Roadmap for Disability Ministry”. Pages 12-22 in Enabling Hearts: A Primer for Disability-Inclusive Churches, edited by Wen-Pin Leow. Disability Ministry in Asia 1. Singapore: Graceworks, 2021.
- “Disability and the Gospel”. Pages 165-170 in Enabling Hearts: A Primer for Disability-Inclusive Churches, edited by Wen-Pin Leow. Disability Ministry in Asia 1. Singapore: Graceworks, 2021.
- “Changing our Minds: A Theological Introduction to Mental Illness”. Pages xi-xviii in Mental Health in the Gospel Community, edited by Jonathan Cho, Joanna Hor, Ng Zhi-Wen, Nicole Ong, Bernice Tan, Ronald J.J. Wong. Good News for Bruised Reeds 2. Singapore: Graceworks, 2019.
- “The Body is One: Spiritual Growth and Disability in conversation with 1 Corinthians 12”. Pages 238-250 in An Owl’s Journey: Essays to Commemorate the 70th Birthday of David W. F. Wong, edited by Dev Menon and Tze-Ming Quek. Singapore: Graceworks, 2019.
- “Reflection on ‘The Gospel and Pain’”. Pages 60-62 in The Gospel Speaks! Past, Present, and Always, edited by Samuel Goh T.S. and Desmond Soh. Singapore: Singapore Bible College, 2017.
- Review of Critical Spatiality in Genesis 1–11, by Zhenshuai Jiang, Journal for the Study of the Old Testament, 45, no. 5 (2021): 44-45.
- Review of Disabilities and the Disabled in the Roman World, by Christian Laes, Journal of Disability and Religion. https://doi.org/10.1080/23312521.2021.1925202.
- Review of Pastoral Care and Intellectual Disability: A Person-Centred Approach, by Anne Katherine Shurley, Journal of Disability and Religion. https://doi.org/10.1080/23312521.2021.1925201.
- Review of Psalms 101–150, by Jason Byassee, Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament, 6, no. 1 (2020), ePub edition.
- Review of The Psalter as Witness: Theology, Poetry, and Genre, edited by W. Dennis Tucker Jr., and W. H. Bellinger Jr., Journal for the Evangelical Study of the Old Testament, 6, no. 1 (2020), ePub edition.
- Review of Crippled Grace: Disability, Virtue Ethics, and the Good Life, by Shane Clifton, International Journal of Public Theology, 13, no. 4 (2019): 517-518.
- Review of Negotiating the Disabled Body: Representations of Disability in Early Christian Texts, by Anna Rebecca Solevåg, Journal of Disability and Religion, 23, no. 4 (2019): 410-411.
- Review of Embodied Hope: A Theological Meditation on Pain and Suffering, by Kelly M. Kapic, Journal of Disability and Religion, 23, no. 4 (2019): 418-419.
- Review of An American Conscience: The Reinhold Niebuhr Story, by Jeremy K. Sabella, Political Theology, 19, no. 2 (2018): 162-164.
- Review of Gender-Play in the Hebrew Bible: The Ways the Bible Challenges Its Gender Norms, by Amy Kalmanofsky. International Journal of Public Theology 11, no. 2 (2017): 260-262.
- “The Ekklēsia of God: Construction of Church and Identity in Ephesians”. Invited paper presented at the Continua Seminar, Singapore, 28 Sep, 2020.
- “The Right Place at the Right Time: The Inclusion of Second Peter in Athanasius’ Canon in Festal Letter 39”. Paper presented at the Oxbridge Biblical Studies Conference, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 3 May, 2019.
- “Embodied Value: A Disability Reading of 1 Corinthians 12”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Tokyo, Japan, March 21-23, 2019.
- “Ekklēsia in the Rhetoric of Ephesians”. Paper presented at the Oxford-Tel Aviv Programme in the Ancient World, Tel-Aviv, Israel, March 13-14, 2019.
- “Better than Sons and Daughters: A Disability Reading of Acts 8:26-40”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Kobe, Japan, March 22-24, 2018.
- “A Cognitive Reading of Psalm 133.” Paper presented at the University of Aberdeen Biblical Studies Conference, Aberdeen, U.K., 22-24 May, 2017.
- “National Identity and the Story of Jewish Exile: A Narrative Reading of the Psalms of Ascents”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Kobe, Japan, March 22-25, 2017.
Click here to access softcopies of some of the above publications on Academia.edu.
Sample Sermons (Selected)
- Sample Sermons:
- Sermon on Galatians 6:2, "Being Each Other's Keeper", 21/22 Nov 2020, St John's St Margaret's Church (external link)
- Sermon on Acts 10, "A Story of Three Conversions", 8 Mar 2020, Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church (external link)
- Sermon on Philippians 2:12-16, "Get Down to Work", 27 Oct 2019, Singapore Life Church (external link)
- Media Mentions:
- "'God did not make us independent; He made us interdependent': Embracing those with disabilities as KIN", Salt & Light, June 25, 2021 (external link)
- "Providing pastoral care for families with special needs?", Salt & Light, Apr 5, 2021 (external link)
- "Enjoying the Bible", Cathedral Podcast, Feb 25, 2021 (external link)
- "Want to start a disability ministry in your local church? Here's a one-stop resource", Salt & Light, Feb 4, 2021 (external link)
- "Disability", Cathedral Podcast, Jan 6, 2021 (external link)
- "How do Sunday schools meaningfully include children with special needs?", Salt & Light, Dec 2, 2020 (external link)
- "Blind greeter, drummer with Down’s Syndrome, inspire participants at disability-inclusive course for churches", Salt & Light, Sep 1, 2020 (external link)
- "Let's Talk About Mental Health in Church", 2019, Cru Singapore (external link)
- "God's Surprising Heart for People with Special Needs", Impacting Generations, 2019 (external link)
- "Call Me By Name stories give voice to those with special needs", Salt & Light, August 21, 2018 (external link)