Mr Leow Wen Pin
DIRECTOR (CENTRE FOR DISABILITY MINISTRY IN ASIA) & LECTURER IN BIBLICAL AND INTERDISCIPLINARY STUDIES
MSt (New Testament, University of Oxford), MTh (Old Testament, University of Aberdeen), MDiv (Biblical Studies, Singapore Bible College), MPhil (Comparative Education, University of Cambridge)
Wen Pin is Lecturer in Biblical and Interdisciplinary Studies at BGST, where he also directs the Centre for Disability Ministry in Asia. His research focuses on, inter alia, Hebrew poetry, disability in the gospels, and homiletics. He has developed Hebrew for Busy People , a web application for helping the Church learn Biblical Hebrew. He is currently working on a monograph applying an interdisciplinary approach to the Psalms of Ascents, combining critical spatial studies and cognitive linguistics. Being especially concerned about the inclusion of people with disabilities, he leads the Koinonia Inclusion Network (KIN) which promotes inclusion in churches, and he also serves on the management committee of a local special needs school.
Prior to entering vocational Christian ministry, Wen Pin was a Public Service Commission scholar, and served as an educator, and also served in Singapore’s defence, education, and trade and industry ministries, with portfolios involving human resources, higher education policy, and national research policy. He frequently preaches/teaches with churches across the denominational spectrum, especially on disability inclusion issues. He worships in Singapore Life Church (Presbyterian) where he serves on the English Service leadership team.
Wen Pin is open to applications to supervise individuals who wish to be research associates with the CDMA.
- Member, Society of Biblical Literature
- Member, International Academic Forum
- Editor, Disability Ministry in Asia series
- Consulting Editor (Practical Theology), Sacrum Testamentum journal
Peer Reviewer, Journal Cuestiones Teológicas
Service in Community
- President, Koinonia Inclusion Network
- School Supervisor, AWWA School @ Napiri
- Chairperson, AWWA School @ Bedok Advisory Panel
Awards and Scholarships
- Gingko Fellowship, Gingko Library (2019)
- Stuart D.B. Picken Memorial Scholarship and Grant, International Academic Forum (2019)
- Ertegun Graduate Scholarship in the Humanities, University of Oxford (2018)
- Solomon Academic Trust Scholarship, Centre for Muslim-Christian Studies (2018)
- G.D. James Preaching Award, Singapore Bible College (2016)
- Dr Benjamin Chew Memorial Awards for Biblical Hebrew & Greek, Singapore Bible College (2016)
- Ichthus Research Paper Award, Singapore Bible College (2016)
- Certificate for Christian Disability Ministry (in partnership with KIN and SU Sg)
- BH111/112: Biblical Hebrew
- BH211/212: Hebrew Exegesis
- BG111/112: Biblical Greek
- HE101: Biblical Hermeneutics and Interpretation
- ME350: Explorations in Disability Theology and Missional Church Life
Publications and Presentations
- Call Me by Name: Stories of Identity, Faith, and Special Needs. Singapore: Graceworks, 2018. (Co-edited with Anne Wong-Png.)
- "Towards an Asian Disability Missiology: Reflections from Singapore." Journal of Asian Missions, forthcoming 2021 (co-authored with Ching-Hui Ong).
- “Farming for Meaning: Dynamic Extended Metaphor and Conceptual Blending in Psalm 129.” Asia Journal of Theology 34, no. 1 (2020): 1-22.
- “Changing One’s Tune: Re-reading the Structure of Psalm 132 as Complex Antiphony.” Old Testament Essays 32, no. 1 (2019): 32-57.
- “Form and Experience Dwelling in Unity: A Cognitive and Contextualised Approach to the Metaphors of Psalm 133.” Tyndale Bulletin 68, no. 2 (2017): 185-202.
- “Changing our Minds: A Theological Introduction to Mental Illness”. Pages xi-xviii in Mental Health in the Gospel Community, edited by Jonathan Cho, Joanna Hor, Ng Zhi-Wen, Nicole Ong, Bernice Tan, Ronald J.J. Wong. Good News for Bruised Reeds 2. Singapore: Graceworks, 2019.
- “The Body is One: Spiritual Growth and Disability in conversation with 1 Corinthians 12”. Pages 238-250 in An Owl’s Journey: Essays to Commemorate the 70th Birthday of David W. F. Wong, edited by Dev Menon and Tze-Ming Quek. Singapore: Graceworks, 2019.
- “Reflection on ‘The Gospel and Pain’”. Pages 60-62 in The Gospel Speaks! Past, Present, and Always, edited by Samuel Goh T.S. and Desmond Soh. Singapore: Singapore Bible College, 2017.
- Review of Disabilities and the Disabled in the Roman World, by Christian Laes, Journal of Disability and Religion (forthcoming 2020).
- Review of Crippled Grace: Disability, Virtue Ethics, and the Good Life, by Shane Clifton, International Journal of Public Theology, 13, no. 4 (2019): 517-518.
- Review of Negotiating the Disabled Body: Representations of Disability in Early Christian Texts, by Anna Rebecca Solevåg, Journal of Disability and Religion, 23, no. 4 (2019): 410-411.
- Review of Embodied Hope: A Theological Meditation on Pain and Suffering, by Kelly M. Kapic, Journal of Disability and Religion, 23, no. 4 (2019): 418-419.
- Review of An American Conscience: The Reinhold Niebuhr Story, by Jeremy K. Sabella, Political Theology, 19, no. 2 (2018): 162-164.
- Review of Gender-Play in the Hebrew Bible: The Ways the Bible Challenges Its Gender Norms, by Amy Kalmanofsky. International Journal of Public Theology 11, no. 2 (2017): 260-262.
- “The Right Place at the Right Time: The Inclusion of Second Peter in Athanasius’ Canon in Festal Letter 39”. Paper presented at the Oxbridge Biblical Studies Conference, Cambridge, United Kingdom, 3 May, 2019.
- “Embodied Value: A Disability Reading of 1 Corinthians 12”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Tokyo, Japan, March 21-23, 2019.
- “Ekklēsia in the Rhetoric of Ephesians”. Paper presented at the Oxford-Tel Aviv Programme in the Ancient World, Tel-Aviv, Israel, March 13-14, 2019.
- “Better than Sons and Daughters: A Disability Reading of Acts 8:26-40”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Kobe, Japan, March 22-24, 2018.
- “A Cognitive Reading of Psalm 133.” Paper presented at the University of Aberdeen Biblical Studies Conference, Aberdeen, U.K., 22-24 May, 2017.
- “National Identity and the Story of Jewish Exile: A Narrative Reading of the Psalms of Ascents”. Paper presented at the Asian Conference on Ethics, Religion & Philosophy, Kobe, Japan, March 22-25, 2017.
Click here to access softcopies of some of the above publications on Academia.edu.
Sermons and Media Mentions (Selected)
- Sermon on Acts 10, "A Story of Three Conversions", 8 Mar 2020, Prinsep Street Presbyterian Church (external link)
- Sermon on Philippians 2:12-16, "Get Down to Work", 27 Oct 2019, Singapore Life Church (external link)
- "God's Surprising Heart for People with Special Needs", Impacting Generations, 2019 (external link)
- "Call Me By Name stories give voice to those with special needs", Salt and Light, August 21, 2018 (external link)