Dr Philip Satterthwaite
Emeritus Principal; Lecturer in Old Testament, Biblical Hebrew & Hermeneutics
Philip has been our Lecturer since 1998. Prior to this, he was Research Fellow in Hebrew and Aramaic at Tyndale House, Cambridge. His main research areas are the Old Testament historical books and the Septuagint. In 2007 his book Exploring the Old Testament 2: The Histories (written in collaboration with J.G. McConville) was published by SPCK/IVP. Philip has preached and taught in a number of churches in Singapore and is a member of Prinsep Street Presbyterian church. He is married to Eileen.
- ‘Narrative Artistry and the Composition of Judges 17-21’ (Manchester, 1989. Supervisor, Professor Barnabas Lindars, ssf)
BGST Courses Taught
- Presently teaches OT101 and OT 102 (Old Testament Foundations 1 & 2), along with electives on OT books. He has taught many other OT courses at BGST (required and elective) in the past.
- ‘Some Septuagintal Pluses in Judges 20-21’, Bulletin of the International Organisation of Septuagint and Cognate Studies 24 (Fall 1991) 25-35
- ‘Narrative Artistry and the Composition of Judges xx.29ff’, VT42 (1992) 80-89
- ‘No King in Israel’: Narrative Criticism and Judges 17-21′, Tyndale Bulletin 44 (1993), 75-88
- ‘Acts against the Background of Classical Rhetoric’ in B.W. Winter and A.D. Clarke (eds.), The Book of Acts in its First Century Setting, I: Ancient Literary Setting (Eerdmans/Paternoster, 1993), 337-79
- ‘David in the Books of Samuel: A Messianic Hope?’ in P.E. Satterthwaite, R.S. Hess and G.J. Wenham (eds.) The Lord’s Anointed. Interpretation of Old Testament Messianic Texts (Paternoster/Baker, 1995) 41-65
- Articles on ‘Ezra’, ‘Genealogies’, ‘Interpretation’ and ‘The Theological Implications of Old Testament Narrative’ in W. VanGemeren et al. (eds.), The New International Dictionary of Old Testament Theology and Exegesis (5 vols.; Grand Rapids: Zondervan, 1997)
- ‘Rhetoric in the Latin Church Fathers’ in S.E. Porter (ed.), A Handbook to Classical Rhetoric in the Hellenistic Period, 330 B.C.-400 A.D. (Leiden: Brill, 1997), 686-708
- ‘The Elisha Narratives and the Coherence of 2 Kings 2-8’, Tyndale Bulletin 49 (1998), 1-28
- ‘Zion in the Songs of Ascents’ in R.S. Hess and G.J. Wenham (eds.), Zion City of our God (Eerdmans, 1999), 105-128
- Articles on ‘Biblical History’ and ‘Samuel’ in T.D. Alexander and B.S. Rosner (eds.), New Dictionary of Biblical Theology (IVP, 2000)
- Article on ‘Nations of Canaan’ in T.D. Alexander and D.W. Baker (eds.), Dictionary of the Old Testament: Pentateuch (IVP, 2003) [jointly written with D.W. Baker]
- Articles on ‘David’ and ‘Judges’ in W. Arnold and H.G.M. Williamson (eds.), Dictionary of the Old Testament: Historical Books (IVP, 2005)
- (with J.G. McConville) Exploring the Old Testament II: The Histories (SPCK/IVP, 2007)
- Translation and introduction to LXX of Judges = pp. 195-238 of A. Pietersma and B.G. Wright (eds.), New English Translation of the Septuagint (OUP, 2007)
- Violence in the Bible, Church + Society in Asia Today 14.3 (2011), pp. 12947
- You Shall be Holy: Gods Call to a Life of Integrity (Leviticus 19) in D.W.F. Wong and P.E. Satterthwaite (eds.), The Joy of the Lord. Essays in Honour of Quek Swee Hwa on his 70th Birthday (Singapore: Finishing Well Ministries, 2012), 79-91
- Wealth and Poverty in Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, in Poverty and Richs: A Biblical and Theological Reflection. Collected Essays of Alliance Bible Seminary Colloquium (Jian Dao, Issue 41, Jan 2014), 145-82
- Judges in J.A. Aitken (ed.), T & T Clark Companion to the Septuagint (London: Bloomsbury T & T Clark, 2015), 102-117
- With One Voice: Law and Grace in the Old Testament, Impact 39.6 (Dec + Jan 2016), 20-23
- The Living and Active Word of God, Perspective (FES) Mar 2017, 3-9
- Religious Violence; A Biblical and Theological Response, in Quek Tze-Ming and P.E. Satterthwaite, (eds.), Faith in an Age of Terror (Singapore: Armour, 2017)
- Journey Through Ecclesiastes (Our Daily Bread, Singapore, 2020)
- WISE Module on OT Poetry (Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Song of Songs) (Bible Society of Singapore, 2019) [WISE = Word Intake for Spiritual Edification]
- Credo, Jun 19, 2017: 'The Book of Ruth: a Study in Unspectacular Faithfulness'
- Credo, Aug 02, 2018: 'Proverbs: Rulers and Working for Justice'
- Credo, Jun 17, 2019: 'Ecclesiastes: Far from "Meaningless"'
- Ethos feature article, Sept 2017: 'Enchanted by "Magic Bullets"?'
Dr. Satterthwaite was Assistant Editor of Tyndale Bulletin between 1993 and 1998, and has also helped to edit three collections of essays:
- R.S. Hess, P.E. Satterthwaite and G.J. Wenham, (eds.), He Swore an Oath. Essays on Genesis 12-50 (2nd ed.; Carlisle/Grand Rapids: Paternoster/Baker, 1994)
- P.E. Satterthwaite and D.F. Wright (eds.), A Pathway into the Holy Scripture (Grand Rapids: Eerdmans, 1994)
- P.E. Satterthwaite, R.S. Hess and G.J. Wenham (eds.), The Lord’s Anointed. Interpretation of Old Testament Messianic Texts (Carlisle/Grand Rapids: Paternoster/Baker, 1995)